Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Creole Jambalaya

Alright, let's get on w/my version of Creole jambalaya, as there are many recipes & ways it can be made today, I do my own thing. But when it comes to cooking isn't that what we're told, follow the instructions then make it your own? I went with a combination of the various meats/seafood that considered the palates, likes & dislikes of  my fellow parishioners in Connecticut .This time my version of Creole jambalaya was chicken, a bit of pork, sausage & a little crayfish (pronounced crawfish) I was able to get. Since there where about 13 people & I wanted enough for seconds I wasn't exact. It came in handy that I'd inherited a well seasoned cast iron Dutch Oven from my Momma. In my mind it's the best way of cookin' (Creole) jambalaya Unless you have leftovers you'll need these items for your these ingredient list. Serves about 10 so I doubled it.

Ingredients:
3-4 tablespoons of butter
1 lb.of sausage (smoked) (andoille if ya kin git it)
1 lb. of chicken
All meats should be cut the same size for cooking, also cut the veggies same size to themselves (not necessarily to the meat)
2 bay leaves
a pinch of any kind of Creole/Cajun seasoning (I like Zatarain's or Tony Chachere's)
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 bell pepper (green) (chopped)
1/2 bell pepper (red) (chopped)
2 stalks of celery (chopped)
1 tablespoon minced garlic (ain't no vampire gonna get me!)
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
3-31/2 cups of rice
1 cup of tomato sauce (optional if you're wanting to make the red)
couple green onions & a bunch of parsley

Melt the butter over medium high heat, add the sausage cook (4-5 mins.) till it begins to brown, moving constantly so nothing burns. Add chicken pieces doing the same. Add the pinch of seasoning, bay leaves & 1/2 the veggies Cook till tender (6-8 mins.) Remember to keep everything moving. Stir, stir, stir. (here's when you add the tomato sauce cook for 1min. if desired)
Add the remaining veggies, rice & stock Mix well stirring occasionally while it comes to a boil. Reduce heat (simmer), cover & cook for about 45-50 mins. (til rice is to your liking) Serve hot garnish w/ green onions & parsley

No comments:

Post a Comment