Friday, December 27, 2013

Cranberry Bread Pudding

I bought what I thought was Mediterranean olive loaf that turned out to be cranberry bread (one of my favs) it being the Christmas season I went looking for a bread pudding recipe. And wouldn't you know it I found one by  Emeril Lagasse I was able to adapt. His called for making a cranberry compote & adding it to a standard pudding where as I had a loaf of cranberry bread; however the volumes are similar since I adore cranberries I did add more Crains.

(Prep Time:45 min -- Cook Time 1 hr -- Serves 10)

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
4 large eggs
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
(I used crystallized sugar cane juice)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup pecan pieces, toasted and rough chopped
2 cups half-and-half (I used milk)
8 slices stale bread (I chose not to remove crusts but
cut into 1/2 inch cubes about 4 cups)
Shaker confectioners' sugar
Sprigs fresh mint

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a 6-cup (9 1/4 by 5 1/4 by 2 3/4-inch) loaf pan with butter.
Whisk together eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla until very smooth. Stir in half-and-half. bread and pecans. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, mixing occasionally.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake until the pudding is set in the center, about 55 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
Garnish with confectioners' sugar and mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment