Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Molasses Candy (taffy)

                                                      

Brings back memories of grocery shleves
This one I remember w/ great fondness! It was a wonderful time when made by my mother & myself as a child. (I called it taffy & had more fun pulling my little mother around while pulling!) According to lore it would have been a pleasurable time "passed" by the early Orleanian belles & beaux in their time. Ingredients as follows:
Start like this
1 quart molasses                                           
1 tbl butter
2 cups granulated sugar
2 tbls vinegar
1/2 tsp soda
juice of 1 lemon
Slowly & carefully bring sugar to a boil w/lemon juice. Boil, stirring frequently, until it becomes quite thick when dropped into water. Add molasses, vinegar, & butter; boil 'til it hardens when dropped into cold water. Stir in the 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda. If you are using a candy thermometer probably around 272%.  Pour into buttered tin; wait 'til cooled enough to roll into a ball then commence pulling until it turns white. Moisten hands w/butter or ice water while pulling. (remember what I said about pulling my 'Lil Momma around)

No comments:

Post a Comment