Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sweet Potato crab chowder

This recipe comes from one of the classes by Phil Hubbard (the Connecticut Cajun) I went to as I spoke of in the about me section of my blog. Here we go:

2 pieces of bacon cut into 1" pieces
4 oz.smoked sausage (ground or chopped)
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/3 cup shallots (green onions)
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 tbs. minced jalapeno (seeded)
1 15oz. can cream style corn
2 15 oz. cans low sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp Joe's Stuff (another Creole seasoning mix)
1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
2 cups cut sweet potatoes (cooked & diced)
1 cup whole milk
8 oz. coked lump crabmeat
2 tbs. of parsley (chopped)

Cook bacon in a large heavy stock pot. (I use my mama's Dutch Oven) Remove bacon as it crisps. Add sausage to drippings saute' sausage (about 3 min. set aside 2 tbs for garnish) Add bacon back w/all the veggies  saute' for 5 min. (til all are tender) Add cream corn, seasoning & pepper simmer uncovered (10 min.) Add sweet potatoes stir to incorporate allow simmer 5 more min., then gently add all but 2 tbs. of the crabmeat making certain the mix is heated through. Garnish w/all set aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment