Thursday, May 23, 2013

Creole Corn Casserole

This was one of my favorites as a child. I thought I was so grown up when I was allowed to fix the first time. Later in life when I came across a cookbook called First You Make a Roux I smiled as those where the exact words she'd said in teaching me.  (Cook Time: 30 minutes)

Ingredients:
    3 tablespoons bacon drippings or butter
One of my Favorites.
    1/3 cup flour    1 small onion (chopped)
    1 rib celery (finely chopped)
    1 small green pepper (chopped)
    1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes, drained
    1 can (about 12 ounces) shoe peg corn or
    Niblets (drained)
    4 ounces grated cheese (your flavor choice)
    salt and pepper
Preparation:
Heat drippings. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until light brown. (a roux) Add (the trinity ) celery, onion, pepper, plus tomatoes and corn.   Mix well and remove from heat. Make layers in 2 quart casserole, alternating vegetables and grated cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Bake 30 minutes (covered) in 350 degrees oven. (Serves 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment