Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Cauliflower Supreme (Broccoli)

I'm a self-proclaimed Veggie freak so this recipe I came across I modified to fit my utmost favorite vegetable Cauliflower!  One of the first things I was taught to make was cauliflower with sharp cheddar cheese sauce.  This original recipe called for broccoli, however my thinking is that most any fresh/frozen non high water content veggie can be substituted.  I took the recipe that must have been complied for a quick side dish and made it my own as we are told to do with cooking most recipes.  I will give both the original then how I modified it.
Broccoli Supreme
                                                                   
Original ingredients and directions:
2 packages frozen chopped broccoli (10oz)
1 can cream of Mushroom soup                         
1 small can chopped chili peppers (drained)
1 envelope cheese sauce mix
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Cook broccoli til tender, drain thoroughly. Combine with al but the shredded cheese. Top w/cheese with held. Bake  til bubbly (30 min)

                                                                         
  My variation ingredients and directions:
Cauliflower Supreme

Cauliflower (medium head)
 2 Tb butter
 2 Tb flour
 1 cup of milk
 1 medium Poblano (minced)       
1 bag shredded Sharp cheddar 
     (2 cups)                      

1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack (with jalepeno)

Take head and  break into florets, steam set aside in casserole dish. Begin Bechemel sauce by melting butter in pan when melted add flour bit by bit til incorporated. (cook for 1 min to cook out flour taste) Then add milk slowly stirring constantly. Sauce will appear to seize when first milk is put in but will loosen up as more milk is added. (continue slowly) I preheat my milk in the microwave for more fluidity in combining  the three ingredients.   Once combined, I add all the cheeses (reserving some to top), when smooth in corporate the peppers.  Turn in casserole dish, again, bake til bubbly (30 min)

No comments:

Post a Comment